- Home >
We hope you will enjoy being a customer of M. R. Gair Ltd, and we want to make sure your experience is as safe and useful as possible. Here you can find out what data we collect from you, how we use it, conditions where we may disclose this data to others, how we keep it secure and how our website works.
M. R. Gair Ltd (SC493942) (“M. R. Gair Ltd”, “we” and “us”) takes the issue of security and data protection very seriously and strictly adheres to guidelines published in the United Kingdom Data Protection Act of 1998 and the General Data Protection Regulation (EU) 2016/679 which is applicable from the 25th May 2018. Any questions relating to this policy and our privacy practices should be sent to email@example.com.
Personal information that we collect, why we collect it and how we use it.
- We obtain information about you when you contact us in our office or over the phone and when you use our website. This section sets out in more detail what information we collect, why we collect it, how we use it and how long we keep your information.
- Please be aware if you purchase a vehicle from M. R. Gair Ltd we will collect your full name, address, contact telephone number(s), date of birth, driver’s licence details, payment details, details of the vehicle you are buying and any details of the vehicle you are part exchanging including mileage and MOT information if relevant. Your details will be retained in line with all regulatory laws and will be on our system for no longer than 7 years, unless you choose to contract with us again before the end of the 7 years. Physical copies of your deal will be securely shredded after 5 years; in line with regulatory standards, tax requirements and audit purposes. Your details will not be used for marketing purposes unless you have given us permission to contact you in this way.
- If finance is required when purchasing your vehicle or in our aftersales department we will be required to collect further details including your marital and housing status, number of dependents, previous address, occupation, employer, business address and bank details as well as a copy of your driver’s licence, a proof of address (i.e. a utility bill) and any other relevant documentation. This information will be passed by M. R. Gair Ltd with your permission to the finance companies and if you are approved for finance the copies of your documentation will be securely shredded 30 days after the money is paid to M. R. Gair Ltd. Your personal information will be stored on your order form which will be kept on our system for 7 years after which it will be removed, in line with regulatory standards, tax requirements and audit purposes.
- If you make a Service, MOT or Repair booking, we require your name, contact information, vehicle details and potentially a collection address. This information is required so that we can arrange your booking and notify you if there are any changes to the booking. Further if your car was purchased from M. R. Gair Ltd our aftersales system will already have your information and we will send you a yearly service/MOT reminder, as we are contractually obligated to do so. If you fulfil your booking and do not return to M. R. Gair Ltd, then your personal data will be deleted off of our system in 7 years and the physical copy will be securely shredded after 5 years, in line with regulatory standards, tax requirements and audit purposes.
- If you make a complaint through our customer services department then to assist you with this complaint, we must collect your name, contact information, information on your complaint as well as, DOB and/or provided identification to ensure we are speaking with the authorised individual. For our legitimate interest this information will be stored in our systems and physical archive for 7 years after the complaint and then securely destroyed.
- To book a test drive we need to take your name, contact information and a copy of your driver’s licence, we will store a copy of this for one year, in case of any speeding, parking or any motoring offence that may occur.
- Similarly if you take a courtesy car from our service department then we would require your name, contact information, insurance details and a copy of your driver’s licence details, we will store record of this on our system for 7 years from the end of hire, in case of any insurance claims, speeding, parking or any motoring offence that may occur. Physical copies of the documents will be securely shredded within a year.
- If you to visit our site at M. R. Gair Ltd we use CCTV to monitor our premises, therefore your image and potentially your vehicle registration will be captured and stored for up to 8 weeks depending on the system used at the site.
- If you injure yourself at M. R. Gair Ltd then we are under a legal obligation to fill in an accident form this will include, full name, contact information, nature of injury and description of treatment. We are legally required to keep these forms for 5 years after the incident then after they will be securely shredded.
- On our website when you search our New or Used Car offers, we may store information on the vehicles you searched for in a cookie so that we can personalise site content. We may track what type of vehicles you view so that we can make suggestions and personalise site content.
- We review our data retention periods regularly and will only hold your personal data for as long as is necessary for the relevant activity, or as required by law (we may be legally required to hold some types of information), or as set out in any relevant contract we have with you.
It is your choice whether you receive information such as marketing from us and you can select this by ticking the relevant boxes on any form where we collect your information. We will not contact you for marketing purposes unless you have given your prior consent. If you have agreed to receive marketing from M. R. Gair Ltd we may e-mail to inform you of new products available. If, at any time, you no longer wish to receive this information, please send a written request. Please note that you will still receive emails directly related to an enquiry you have submitted via our contact form. If you have opted-in to receive marketing material from us, we will use your name and whichever methods you have selected to send out this information.
Access to Your Information
You may request, at any time, a copy of the personal information the company holds about you, at no cost. Should you wish to access or update the personal information that we hold, please contact us by sending a written request to Customer Services, M. R. Gair Ltd, 7 Blackhill Industrial Estate, Lerwick, Shetland. ZE1 0PZ firstname.lastname@example.org
If you wish to have the information the Company holds on your person removed, please request this in writing to Customer Services, M. R. Gair Ltd, 7 Blackhill Industrial Estate, Lerwick, Shetland. ZE1 0PZ email@example.com - as long as your information is not pertinent to the completion of a contract or required for any legal reason it will be removed.
If you are concerned that we are not using your information in accordance with the law or are not satisfied with our response to a request made above, then you can complain to the Information Commissioner’s Office.
The Information Commissioner in Scotland can be reached by the following means;
The Information Commissioner's Office - Scotland
45 Melville Street
0303 123 1115
Please be aware that the transmission of information via the internet is not always completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the complete security of your data transmitted to us electronically; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your information, we will use strict procedures and security features to restrict unauthorised access.
Disclosing Your Information
We may disclose your personal information to third parties under the following circumstances:
We work with various third-party providers to help us deliver our products and services, and we only disclose your information as far as is necessary to provide the service. However, we have contracts with third party suppliers we will have completed necessary security checks and full due diligence to ensure that your data is kept safe once passed to the third party. The majority of third parties only have the right to use your data to complete an obligation, they do not have marketing rights over your data. Your data is used including in the following circumstances:
- The Website may offer you the opportunity to share or follow information about us (or the website or our services) using third party social networking functionality (such as through "share this", "like" or "follow" buttons).
- We offer this functionality in order to generate interest in us, the website and our services among the members of your social networks, and to permit you to share and follow opinions, news and recommendations about us with your friends. However, you should be aware that sharing personal or non-personal information with a social network may result in that information being collected by the social network provider or result in that information being made publicly available, including through Internet search engines.
What is a cookie?
How long are cookies stored for?
Persistent cookies - these cookies remain on a user's device for the period of time specified in the cookie. They are activated each time that the user visits the website that created that particular cookie.
Session cookies - these cookies allow website operators to link the actions of a user during a browser session. A browser session starts when a user opens the browser window and finishes when they close the browser window. Session cookies are created temporarily. Once you close the browser, all session cookies are deleted.
Cookies do lots of different jobs, like letting you navigate between pages efficiently, remembering your preferences, and generally improve the user experience.
Can I disable cookies?
If you want to disable cookies you need to change your website browser settings to reject cookies. How you can do this will depend on the browser you use.
Depending on which cookies you disable, the website may not operate properly if cookies are switched off.
Changes to our Privacy & Cookies Policy
Any changes we may make to our privacy & cookies policy in the future will be posted on this page.
This policy was last updated: November 2019